Opportunity type: Employment
Contract type: Fixed term employment up to 31 March 2024
The Southern Africa Trust was established in 2005, to support civil society organisations in Southern Africa to participate effectively and with credibility in policy dialogue so that the voices of the poor can have better impact in the development of public policies. Our mandate is to work on a non-profit basis, to engage in activities that contribute to the reduction of poverty & inequality. In delivering this mandate, we strive to strengthen the voices of poor people in public policy processes. Africans deserve an economy that allows each person to lead a dignified and meaningful life. We believe inclusive economies are critical for reducing poverty and inequality and unlocking the potential of regional integration to generate jobs, drive innovation, protect the environment and generate economic opportunities for all.
The Southern Africa Trust seeks to recruit a Programme Coordinator: Economic and Development Policy
The main purpose of this role is to drive the implementation of the Southern Africa Trust programme on Economic and Development Policy (EDP). The Coordinator will lead in conceptualisation of our EDP advocacy agenda and implement related projects. The position holder will undertake policy research, track and analyse emerging policy issues in major decision-making spaces i.e regional economic communities SADC, COMESA and national level.
- Building stakeholder relations and analysis among policy makers, private sector entities and civil society groups.
- Providing updates on policy-related developments and support civil society to develop advocacy plans
- Organizing and facilitating multi-stakeholder policy dialogue events on key policy issues as they emerge and aligned to the Southern Africa Trust strategy
- Building civic capacity of the region on relevant policy development, shaping the mobilisation engagement agenda and strategy for citizens groups
- Supporting platform building, monitoring outreach interventions carried out in southern Africa
- Coordinating and developing a sustained practice of multi-stakeholder policy engagement between civil society organizations, businesses, government, donors and other interest groups in Southern Africa
The candidate must hold a relevant Master’s Degree in economics, law, development studies, social sciences. 5 – 8 years in development sector, engagement with Regional Economic Communities i.e SADC. COMESA. Knowledge of Economic and Development Policy, policy research, programme implementation and knowledge management. Demonstrated ability in managing stakeholders, developing partnerships and resource mobilisation. Must have project management, problem solving and analysis skills. Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills, experience in the NGO sector.
Please forward your curriculum vitae and covering letter explaining of your interest in the work of the Trust to email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the full position title you are applying for in the email subject line.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The Southern Africa Trust is an equal opportunities employer. All applicants must be in possession of the appropriate and valid rights to work in South Africa.
The Southern Africa Trust reserves the right to modify this job advert or not to make an appointment.
Opportunity Closing Date: 5th May 2022
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa